Laundry Whitener – Reader Mailbag
Another dear reader, Kerri from Washington State, sent us a great recipe for laundry whitener. Just look at my before and ofter shots and you will not doubt how fantastic this cleaner truly is.
I have been sold on this even though I had to purchase brand name dishwasher detergent and not go with my cheap in-store brand… (the trick is in the Cascade brand – no I am not getting anything from them for saying this, though if any readers out there work for cascade, I would be happy to take some free DW soap.)
As a side note… no spots on my glasses…
Anyways, here it is, in all of its simpleness.
- 1/2 Cup Cascade Dishwashing Soap (granular)
- 1 1/2 Cup Liquid Clorox Bleach
*Do not use color safe bleach, the trick is to whiten your items.
- Fill the tub of your washing machine half way with hot water.
- Add the two ingredients from above and allow time to dissolve.
- Add 10-20 items that you want whitened (the trick is not to add too many).
- Let the articles soak approximately 20 minutes.
- Run your washing machine agitation and spin cycle.
- Run the items through a regular wash with laundry detergent.
- Dry using your preferred drying method.
As a side note, if you have a colored article of clothing that is stained, this may be a great way to revive it. I know for my part I will not wear stained clothing out too much (though I do we wear it around the house). Sometimes the items have tons of wear left and I am distressed that the stain appeared.
Generally because one of my kids spilled on me.
Anyways, try the whitener, it may come out lighter than it was originally but if the stain is removed and the article is now wearable you are to the advantage.
Good luck, and let me know how it works for you.
Useful link – Homemade Laundry Detergent